Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Shady Deal-ings





I don't know about the rest of you, but when I pore over the glossies my eyes immediately hone in on the special touches that make the room. So of course when I espied a Noguchi reverse pod lamp (shown here from Room and Board) in this Domino story, I couldn't get it out of my mind.

I love the Noguchi's organic shape, texture and warm glow. But the $275 price tag - not so much. But the great thing about paper lampshades is that they are available at every price point so you don't need a big wallet to get the big wow factor. So I'll file away the reverse pod for now.

In the meantime, it got me thinking about other affordable options. For example, two of these bedside table lamps from Target ($19.29) would look great flanking a modern bed and setting a romantic mood. While this overhanging lamp from IKEA ($39.99) would be so chic in a reading corner. And although not task-lighting, this orb floor lamp from Homeclick ($80.50), would also look handsome in a living room.

A great idea from Living Etc. is to use a grouping of inexpensive paper lampshades at various heights in lieu of a chandelier. Look at the wonderful impact it has! A couple of these lanterns from Overstock ($29.99) would be a great choice as well.

Pretty*Practical tip: If you have kids in your home, a floor lamp placed in a corner might be the best solution for getting the look you want while avoiding sticky fingers and knocked over lighting. Having a family doesn't mean you have to comprise entirely on style, just making simple adjustments can result in a win-win!

Clockwise from top: Room and Board; IKEA; Homeclick; Target; Overstock; Living Etc.

No comments: